Country Markets are open to everyone over the age of 16 to join. They operate as individual cooperatives at each town where a market is held, and are overseen by a county committee. The counties are affiliated to the national organisation, which regulates how markets are run.
It costs a nominal fee to join, and the Market takes a small
commission from sales to cover running costs.
The remainder is paid to producers monthly.
Both customers and producers will find a friendly atmosphere,
a wide range of fresh home-produced cooking,
home grown fruits vegetables and flowers, and
a wide variety of crafts.
Frome Market currently has around 40 members and from these a committee is democratically elected at the Annual General Meeting to make sure the whole business runs smoothly. Members currently producing are listed below:
Irene Balchin ~ Jewellery
Margaret Banks ~ Plants & Cut Flowers
Charlotte Beswick ~ Plants & Cut Flowers
Margaret Bond ~ Cakes, Savouries & Preserves (Committee ~ County Rep)
Karen Boyce ~ wool & woollen products
Liz Brock ~ Cakes, Savouries & Preserves (Committee ~ Market Manager, County Rep)
Jane Drew ~ Cakes, Cookies, Preserves & Jewellery (Committee ~ Treasurer)
Judy Duffus ~ China Painting, Baking & Preserves (Committee)
Jim Duffus ~ Garden Produce
Norman Elmer ~ Honey
Eva Goddard ~ Calligraphy
Judy Holdway ~ Eggs
Mary Holley ~ Plants, Cut Flowers & Honey ~ (Committee)
Sabine Keil ~ Garden Produce
Joy King ~ Preserves
Joan King ~ Helper
Sheila March ~ Meringues and Helper
Jacqu Martin ~ Cards
Jenny Merrett ~ Glass
Susan Mitchell ~ Knitwear
Jean Norman ~ Garden Produce
Anne Oakes ~ Cakes, Savouries & Preserves (Committee ~ Chairwoman)
Sue Phillips ~ Handbags
Prue Piper ~ Fruit
Virginia Purchon ~ Pottery, Cakes, Savouries & Preserves
June Slip – Jewellery
Angela Steele – Eggs
Alison Still ~ Cakes & Savouries (Committee ~ Assistant Market Manager)
Angela Tucker ~ Garden Produce
Judith White ~ Photographic Cards
Suzanne Woodward ~ Cards
Are you a mum looking for work to fit in with school hours?
Have you recently taken early retirement?
Are you looking for something to do with your spare time?
Can you cook or bake?
Are you looking for somewhere to sell your homemade savouries or preserves?
Are you a gardener?
Do you always have surplus vegetable crops you don’t know what to do with?
Are you a craft worker looking for somewhere to sell your products?
Why not turn your talents and hobbies into cash and make new friends at the same time?
At Frome Country Market we are looking for new members to join our friendly, co-operative venture:
- All goods are offered for sale collectively – no one has preferential treatment.
- There are no minimum quantities to produce – just produce the quantity that suits you.
- Country Markets have a formula to help Members work out a fair selling price, that also gives a good return for their hard work.
- A small commission (currently 13%) is taken from the selling price of the goods, to cover market running expenses, and the rest is paid back to the Producer at the end of the month.
- We encourage Producers, wherever possible, to help with the running of the market, but we are flexible to individual circumstances, such as family commitments, etc.
- If your surplus garden produce is seasonal, bring it in and we will sell it for you.
- Craft Producers get an opportunity to talk to customers about their work and take orders.
Why not pop in any Thursday and have a chat?
Members Only Page ~ This is page only available to Market Members who have registered and logged into this site.